Archive for 06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008
That #23 is a powerful number. It means quality, excellence and a long-standing legacy. Am I perfect and excellent in every way? No, but I am striving towards it. Hell, I didn't ever see myself doing my little corny podcasts, or that people would respond. It's been a deep trek, and I'm proud to continue to embark on it.
This mix was made Friday night, after I got the dirty/no DJ version of Nas' "Fried Chicken". Some cuts from The Lighthouse Project, more new Nas, and a host of joints that I am feeling currently. Check me out:
rock the dub radio: episode 023
(direct MP3 dload / beatplexity mirror)
01/Nas ft. Busta Rhymes "Fried Chicken"
02/Nas "Sly Fox"
03/David Banner ft. Nas "Middle Finger"
04/Vordul Mega "Megagraphitti"
05/Vast Aire "The Man With Out Fear"
06/Cam'ron "My Aura"
08/5th Flow "The Reign"
09/Muja Messiah ft. Slug & HAP "O'Silly Me"
10/Wale ft. Skyzoo "The Hacksaw Jim Duggan"
11/Hustle Simmons ft. 84 & Fel Sweetenburg "The Rundown"
12/Bun B "That's Gangsta (The Amps Remix)"
13/Master 3 "What Is Your Name"
14/Nobody "Dirty New Jerz"
15/R.O.E. "Can't Help Myself"
16/Cy Yung "Dreamcatcher Revisited"
17/Daft Punk & Jay-Z "Something About Us (Burt Fox Blend)"
18/Jay-Z ft. Memphis Bleek, Beanie Sigel & Amil "You, Me, Him And Her"
19/Lupe Fiasco "U, Me, Him And Her Freestyle"
20/Ludacris "Big Ass House Freestyle"
21/Rick Ross ft. T-Pain "The Boss"
22/Rick Ross ft. Lil' Wayne, Young Jeezy & Trick Daddy "Luxury Tax"
23/Freeway "When They Remember"
24/N.E.R.D. "Everyone Nose"
25/Von Pea, Elucid, Che Grand & Spec Boogie "Lessondary Nose"
26/Praverb "The King"
27/Brokn.Englsh "Different World"
28/Joulz Il "Imagine That"
29/Burt Fox & El Juba "The Jungle"
30/Common ft. Pharrell "Announcement"
31/Junclassic "The Promo"
32/Brown Bag All-Stars "Make Way"
33/Nas ft. stic.man "Association"
Fresh, fresh cuts. Any DJs/MCs/producers lookin' to submit music to me, just holler.
rock the dub radio \ RSS \ iTunes
Vordul Mega "Megagraphitti" (prod. by Zach One): New shit from 1/2 of one of my favorite duos of all time, produced by the homey Zach One, from Mega's forthcoming Megagraphitti album (Shake posted the tracklist to this monster). You think this is gonna even touch Cold Vein?
Nas ft. Busta Rhymes "Fried Chicken": This is my shit. 'Nuff said. I know Jon Jon doesn't like (get?) what they are doing, and if you don't get it, I can't help you.
EDIT: Here's the dirty/No DJ version, via 2DB.
Big up to Young Sav.
related: Nas Untitled Cover+Tracklist
Wow. This all started with me hitting up Shake, speaking about how shocked I was at this "Sly Fox" track and all of its dopeness. Shake, feeling the exact way I am, then goes and hits the internets with the tracklist! Check it out:
01. Queens Get The Money (Produced by Jay Electronica)
02. You Can’t Stop Us Now (Featuring Eban Thomas of The Stylistics & The Last Poets) (Produced by Salaam Remi)
03. Breathe (Produced by J. Myers & Dustin Moore)
04. Make The World Go Round (Featuring Chris Brown & The Game) (Co-produced by Cool & Dre & The Game)
05. Hero (Featuring Keri Hilson) (Produced by Polow Da Don)
06. America (Produced by Stargate)
07. Sly Fox (Produced by stic.man of Dead Prez)
08. Testify (Produced by Mark Batson)
09. N.I.G.G.E.R. (The Slave And The Master) (Produced by DJ Toomp)
10. Untitled (Produced by stic.man of Dead Prez)
11. Fried Chicken (Featuring Busta Rhymes) (Produced by Mark Ronson)
12. Project Roach (Featuring The Last Poets) (Produced by Eric Hudson)
13. Ya’ll My Niggas (Produced by J. Myers)
14. We’re Not Alone (Featuring Mykel) (Produced by stic.man of Dead Prez)
15. Black President (Featuring Johnny Polygon) (Produced by DJ Green Lantern)
Damn, I need that "Let's Go" joint. Where did it end up? Regardless, based on everything that's leaked so far, and The Nigger Tape, I am definitely hype on this. I will go so far as to say that I will videotape myself buying this CD if it comes out in with this kind of venom on it. Dead serious.
Maybe I'm not done with Nas after all...
Brokn.Englsh "Different World" (prod. by Illmind): This sat on my harddrive for a week or 2 without me realizing that I needed to unearth this to the masses. The NJ trio does it again, with Illmind on the boards? Gotta love how Ill throws those different elements in the beat, seemingly at will. Don't even think about sleepin'.
Wild. That's been the word for this week. Wild. And I just realized that next week's playlist falls on the 4th, which is the same day that Niggers Are Scared Of Revolution is going to drop. And I have to finish my next ep of rock the dub radio. Yes.
leaks of the week!
- Nas "Sly Fox"
- Common ft. Pharrell "Announcement" [Bonus Beats: Common "The Corner (K-Salaam & Beatnick Remix)"]
- T.I. "A Better Day" [Bonus Beats: T.I. ft. R. Kelly "Life Of The Party" (No DJ)]
- The Game ft. Travis Barker "Dope Boys"
- G-Unit ft. LL Cool J "Straight Outta Southside (Remix)"
- David Banner ft. Lil' Wayne "Shawty Say"
- Lil' Wayne "Never Get It" (prod. by David Banner)
- T-Pain ft. Lil' Wayne "Can't Believe It"
- Tyga "I'm Young Money"
- A-Trak ft. Kid Cudi "Me And My Sneakers" [Bonus Beats: A-Trak ft. Lupe Fiasco "Me And My Sneakers"]
- Alicia Keys ft. LL Cool J "Teenage Love Affair (Remix)" (prod. by Swizz Beats)
- Gym Class Heroes ft. The-Dream "Cookie Jar"
- Killer Mike "10 G's"
- Skillz "Sick"
- Ice Cube "Us..."
- Dice Raw "Been Down" (prod. by Jontae)
- NYOil ft. Chuck D "Soldier"
- Cam'ron "My Aura" [CDQ/No DJ]
- Jim Jones ft. Stack Bundles & Mel Matrix "Only 17"
- Joe Budden ft. Heartbreak "No More"
- Memphis Bleek "No Drought"
- Peedi Crakk "Get Wetta"
- Young Chris "You Don't Even Know"
- 1st 48th ft. Benzino & Nas "My Way"
- Newz ft. Jadakiss "Homicide Music"
- DJ Pharris ft. Fabolous, Fat Joe & Busta Rhymes "The Money"
- Lil' Keke ft. Slim Thug, Paul Wall & Tre Virdue "Money In Tha City"
- Trish Barnes ft. Gillie Da Kid, Ab-Liva & Marsha Ambrosius "Night Rydahz"
- Tanya Morgan "Hip-Hop Is Dead 2" [Bonus Beats: Tanya Morgan ft. Czelena "Be You"]
- DJ K.O. ft. Skyzoo, Emilio Rojas & Median "Start It All Over" (prod. by Black Milk)
- Black ELement "The Itis" (prod. by 6th Sense)
- Opio "Don Julio" [Bonus Beats: Opio "Some Superfly Sh!t" & "Stop The Press"]
- Napsndreds ft. Copywrite "Do What I Do" (prod. by Illmind)
- Mikkey Halsted "Dear Summer"
- Payroll "Never Change" (prod. by Kanye West)
- Spider Loc "Geez Like They Used 2" (Young Buck Dis)
- Termanology "Talking To God"
- J. Rocwell ft. Shaq "Tell Me How My Ass Tastes"
- Culture VI ft. Royce Da 5'9 "Never Had A Clue"
- Kam Moye, Probz & Royce Da 5'9 "Change"
- BK Cyph "Never Sold Crack"
- KONCEPT, JLOG1C & Soul Khan "Make Way" (prod. by Mr. Porter)
- Master 3 "What Is Your Name" (prod. by Ed-Nezz)
- Black Blondie "For The Taste"
- Buff1 ft. Black Milk "Never Fall"
- Panama ft. Skyzoo "Play Your Position" (prod. by Blackjab)
- J-Dollaz ft. Smitt "She's Cold" (prod. by Kingsmen Productions)
GET'CHA LATE PASS!
- Centric & Cy Yung Back 2 Lyfe Mixtape
- Teddy Roxpin Supermailman Mixtape
- The Lighthouse Project (Disc 2)
- Jelani Wait, You Can Rap?!?! LP
- Blend Time: Jay-Z vs. Daft Punk
- DJ Cable's Weekly Mix #22
- Kid Color Carded & Discarded Mixtape
- Atlantic Connection Vs. Hip-Hop
In preparation for Niggers Are Scared of Revolution:
Public Enemy "Can't Truss It"
Enjoy your weekend, fam. Keep it locked...
Here's some fresh DnB Bootleg goodness from Atlantic Connection, who had some DnB bootlegs hogging up space on his HD and decided to unearth them for the masses! I was actually wondering if that Kanye West one was going to see the light of day, ever since hearing Infiltrata spin it...
- Kanye West "Can't Tell Me Nothin' (Atlantic Connection's I Already Told Ya Remix)"
- Damien Marley "Road To Zion (Atlantic Connection's Smoke It Up Remix)"
- Pharrell ft. Kanye West "Number 1 (Atlantic Connection's Business Class Remix)"
- Clipse ft. Pharrell "Mr. Me Too (Atlantic Connection's Too Cool For Gym Class Remix)"
Loves it! Go grab Tomorrow's Not Enough, early!
Rolling Stone reports that Snoop confirmed Detox is finished, and just needs to be finalized:
“That record is real, it’s coming,” Snoop Dogg said, having recently recorded tracks for Dre’s album. “I was starting to doubt it myself and then I went up in there and he played so much music for me it knocked my head off.” Snoop also adds the album is finished, and now it’s up to Dre to go through all the songs he’s culled and decide which make the final cut. “I see what he got them waiting for, it’s on and poppin’,” the Doggfather said. Snoop also revealed that Dre will produce his next record, the follow-up to Ego Trippin’.
I hope Dr. Dre can deliver a better album for Snoop than Ego Trippin'. And still no timeline on Detox coming out = hella skeptical.
This is for all of you CRUNK!! ATLiens... Lil' Jon will be getting it CRUNK!!! in the A tonight, for the launch of CRUNK!!! Citrus. I imagine this will be an ill event, and it's summertime, so you college heads need to flock down there and support.
They have a load of shows lined up... take a trip to see them if you're in the area:
6.27.08 Pride Block Party OUTSIDE @ Bryant and Lake in Uptown, Minneapolis, MN
7.11.08 Headlining "Day of Music" @ Orchestra Hall, Minneapolis, MN
7.13.08 Bastille Day OUTSIDE of Barbette, Minneapolis, MN
7.19.08 West Bank Summer Festival OUTSIDE the Nomad World Pub, Minneapolis, MN
7.27.08 MUJA MESSIAH- record release show @ First Ave Mainroom, Minneapolis, MN
7.31.08 Epilepsy Foundation benefit w/ Romantica @ the Varsity, Minneapolis, M
8.15.08 Black Blondie + Roma di Luna + Aby Wolf @ the Triple Rock, Minneapolis, MN
8.16.08 Square Lake Festival w/ Happy Apple + more, FREE CAMPING included: the festival is located near Square Lake Park in Stillwater, MN
Props to BB's Tasha for hitting me with this, and Jon Jon for the good word.
Check out this club-tastic mixtape from Chi-town (by way of So. Cal) DJ Kid Color:
1. Animal Collective – For Reverend Green (Kid Color edit)
2. Ghostface Killah – Charlie Brown (Yuksek Remix)
3. The Black Ghosts – Face (Philipe De Boyar Remix)
4. Simian Mobile Disco – Hot Dog
5. Bobmo – To The Bobmobile
6. The Count & Sinden feat. Kid Sister – Beeper (A-Trak Remix)
7. Does It Offend You, Yeah? – Weird Science
8. Kid Color – Yo ZongaMajesty!
9. Kid Color – Phoenix B-O-O-T-A-Y
10. Chromeo – Fancy Footwork (Guns N Bombs Remix)
11. Junkie XL – Booming Right At You
12. Timbaland – Miscommunication (The Bloody Beetroots Remix)
13. Them Jeans – Lloyd vs. Yuksek (Them Jeans Blend)
14. D.I.M. – Is You (JFK Remix)
15. Kid Sister – Pro Nails (Bag Raiders Remix)
16. Kid Color – Digital Pu$$y
17. Daft Punk – Digital Love (Red Foxx's Bmore Surprise Mix)
18. Justice – D.V.N.O. (LA Riots Bootleg Remix)
19. Klaxons – Golden Skans (Switch Remix)
20. Death From Above 1979 – Sexy Results (MSTRKRFT Remix)
21. Death From Above 1979 – Sexy Results (Blake Miller Is Ruthless edit)
22. The Avalanches – Ray of Zdarlight
23. Sebastian – Ross Ross Ross
24. Kid Color – Throw Some Data On That Mix
25. MSTRKRFT – Street Justice (MSTRKRFT remix)
26. Herve & Yo Majesty – Get Low Club Action (Scattermish Timid Fuckup edit)
27. Cut Copy – Lights & Music (Boys Noize Happy Birthday Remix)
Although most of the details are sketchy, the one thing that’s certain is that the once highly influential underground hip-hop DJ/Producer and Perceptionist member, Fakts One, one day, simply disappeared. Some blame problems with his record label that folded right before the scheduled release of his debut solo album. Others say the stresses of the unstable music industry led Fakts to turn his back on hip-hop as a profession. Whatever the reason, he decided to make a clean break from the music and many of his closest friends in the industry haven’t heard from him since.
Wild. I remember hearing a few of these leak years ago - like 4, 5 years ago to be exact! Well, it looks like Nature Sounds is finally dropping his Long Range album on July 22nd. Check out the tracklist:
1.) Ridin' Dirty
2.) Grown Folks f/ Little Brother
3.) Life Music f/ Rocklyn & Maya Azucena
4.) OK f/ Kingsize & Outerspace
5.) Born For This f/Chan
6.) Don't Stop f/Boot Camp Clik
7.) The Showstarter f/ The Perceptionists (Mr. Lif & Akrobatik)
8.) Audiovisual f/ J Live
9) U From The Q f/ Universal
10.) Set The Mood f/ Grayskul
11.) Moments Matter f/ Tajai (of Souls Of Mischief)
12.) Selfish f/ Akrobatik & Iyadonna
13.) Longevity f/ Rasco, Planet Asia & Shakes Da Mayor
14.) The Showstarter (Walkman Remix) f/ The Perceptionists (Mr. Lif & Akrobatik)
I remember "Grown Folks" dropping a bit ago, as well as "The Showstarter" (I might have to unearth that on a forthcoming rock the dub radio). Dude is serious on the beats, so I'd definitely pick this up when it drops. Meta-props to Matt for the info.
Black ELement "The Itis" (prod. by 6th Sense): Here's a bangin' cut that Black EL & Notherground's 6th Sense did together that is not coming out on A Major Minority. Some fire coming out of the New England area!
01. Kurtis Blow - The Breaks
02. Cheryl Lynn - Got To Be Real
03. Mohawks - The Champ
04. Fatback Band - Backstrokin
05. Lakeside - Fantastic Voyage
06. Funkadelic - Knee Deep
07. James Brown - Get Up Offa That Thing
08. Rick James - Ghetto Life
09. Rick James - Give It To Me
10. Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
11. Curtis Mayfield - Pusherman
Tanya Morgan "Hip-Hop Is Dead 2": Here's another cut from TM's The Bridge EP, which is shaping up to be a pretty ill release (cop it over at Amazon). This is one of those tracks where, if someone is like "ayo, Hip-Hop is dead, son", you just put this one on and nod ya head.
Bonus Beats: Tanya Morgan ft. Czelena "Be You"
Here's a batch of clips from last night's BET Awards, via WSHH:
Shawty LO "Dey Know" (from Pre-Awards show)
Sean Kingston "There's Nothing" (from Pre-Awards show)
Scooter Freestyle (from Pre-Awards show)
Day 26 (from Pre-Awards show)
Hot Stylz ft. Yung Joc "Lookin' Boy" (from Pre-Awards show)
V.I.C. ft. Soulja Boy, Bun B, DJ Unk, Polow Da Don & Jermaine Dupri "Silly (Remix)" (from Pre-Awards show)
Usher "Love In This Club"
Young Jeezy & Kanye West "Put On"
Keyshia Cole & Lil' Kim
Alicia Keys "Teenage Love Affair"
Alicia Keys & TLC "Waterfalls"
Al Green "Love & Happiness"
T-Pain, Flo-Rida, Ludacris & DJ Khaled
Chris Brown & Ciara
Nelly, Jermaine Dupri, Ciara & Fergie "J'z" & "Party People"
Lil' Wayne & T-Pain "A Millie"
WSHH does say they have Rihanna's "Take A Bow" performance, but the link attached to it goes to the Nelly set, so who knows.
What'd you all think of the show? I didn't see it, but I heard Lauren London was looking good. I guess I'll have to catch the re-play. YBF already has two posts dedicated to some fashion choices from the Red Carpet, BET's updated their site dedicated to the show, and DL Hughley was marking on Obama?
Theo "Sweetest Language [snippet]" (prod. by Profit): Fresh new Theo leaks, you already know. You recognize that piano, right? Theo going in on how he got from where he came to where he's at now. Dude has that hunger in his voice... The Birth is coming!
Daft Punk vs. Jay-Z "Something About Us (Burt Fox Blend)" / "Something About Us 2 (Burt Fox Blend 2)": Heard on RiotControl 12, the homey Burt Fox has unleashed this DJ tool on the masses, blending Jigga's Who U Wit with some laid-back Daft Punk flavors. Smooth, mellow summer funk. The 2nd version includes that slick and sexy electro-fused singing in the middle. So choice for you selectors out there.
I hit you guys with Disc 1 two weeks ago, and have gotten a lot of positive feedback from heads who are in tune to the sound. I look at this compilation as kind of two sides of the same coin. Where Disc 1 was a bit more harder, mixtape-feel to it, Disc 2 has a lot of the same themes underlying: social issues, love, and a host of introspective moods, wrapped around slick production and capped off with some dope instrumentals. Ah, just read on...
01. Freddie Joachim ft. Lauren Santiago & Jacewon "Hear It From You": Yes, I know, this isn't technically Hip-Hop, but ease off. This is my Hip-Hop Soul joint for the summer. Joachim has beats, Lauren has a sultry voice and Jacewon ties the whole story of yearning with a sick verse... and an extra endpiece. Reminds me of that Pete Rock shit, with a hint of that Neo Soul in it. This is on Joachim's In With Time, which is available... in Japan.
02. Big Quarters ft. Alicia Steele "August": This is from Big Quarters' Lake City Browns album. I dropped the video from this a few months back, and it still has that perfect chilled Sunday afternoon vibe. It's also the perfect compliment to "Hear It From You". Minneapolis, what?!?!?
03. Black ELement "Human": Black EL is on a roll right now, and if you've been hip to the internets, you should have seen this one around. I heard this a bit ago, and had to have it for this project. I love the switch-up in the beat when the chorus comes in, and he throws some witty lines and sows some deeper seeds (check that 2nd verse). A Major Minority is coming...
04. Amanda Diva "Supa-Woman": I was so mad - I couldn't lock down any other tracks from strong female MC's. I got my hands on this one early, and loved that bassline. Amanda has always been an artist I have loved, ever since I saw her spoken word, through her MTV2 stint. She is a chick that many heads would love to wife up - just the total package. One would hope you guys are keepin' into her DivaSpeakTV webisodes, as well as her blog over at Okayplayer. Props to Saptosa for the hook-up.
05. Fanu "So Sleeps The City": One thing I did get, however, were some dope instrumental jams. This is the first of the trifecta. Fanu is one of the artists on this comp who is not necessarily known for his Hip-Hop production - he is more of a Drum & Bass/Jungle/Downtempo soundboy. I sent out a load of e-mails on a whim, and was granted permission to use this track. Has that nice feel of a city like New York, like 1:30AM on a Friday, where the rest of the world is dead but this town is alive and kicking, and you're driving in a taxi, taking it all in. Heavy track.
06. Elucid "Step Careful": I leaked this cut earlier this month (again, I had this track pegged for a minute), and to be honest, I wish I had more from dude. Elucid is an emcee that went from a cat I'd converse with briefly to someone who I've been trying to get shit done with for a minute now. We'll see how that goes... regardless, this Waxwerks11701-produced, harpsichord-driven revival music anthem is from E's forthcoming Save Yourself album. Be on the lookout for that.
07. Muja Messiah "True Lies": Muja has been making crazy noise on this site for the better part of 2008, and for good reason - so much so, that this is the 2nd track of his on this comp! This is one of those wild, conspiracy theory heavy tracks that plays a great bookend to the previous track, spit over a mid-tempo banger. His album (Thee Adventures of A B-Boy D-Boy) is dropping on Black Corners on July 29th as well!
08. Wu-Tang Clan "C.R.E.A.M. (Zyon Base Mix)": Zyon Base is a producer who I only knew about from his Drum & Bass productions, so imagine my surprise when he hits me one Saturday with this ill remix of a classic Wu-Tang favorite. It's actually got a sound of something that could have been a B-side to the "C.R.E.A.M." single, which is always dope. I guess I have that old-Soul sound in me. Props to Hobzee for letting me know ZB did Hip-Hop.
09. Wordsmith "The Soulless Saint": Wordsmith is another artist who has gotten 'nuff play on this blog. The one thing I didn't know about dude was that he could weave stories like this, but "The Soulless Saint" is one to grow on. As a leader and a guy striving to make moves, you have to respect dude's hustle. Check out The Mid-Year Review mixtape Words did with Denox & HipHopDX recently.
10. Cave Precise "GOD": This was an early addition to this project, as well. Cave is a talented producer of both straight-up Hip-Hop and some more twisted, genre-bending flavors. This has that pimped-out flex to it, but the organs and the overall feel had me open from jump. The beat CD this came on has some fire on it - MCs looking for beats, take note.
11. Praverb "Urban Legends": Teddy Roxpin went in on this beat. If I was an emcee, I'd want an album of tracks like this. Praverb is such a dope MC, though, it's good to hear him rip this one up. His first verse has been a quottable for me, just for the things he touches on (MF Doom, Cloverfield, etc.), but then tries to get you cats to think about things (like what "Crank Dat" is promoting). Talk about edutainment! I also recently reviewed his Center Of Attention album, which you heads need to check out.
12. Radius "South Shore (Baahumgbug!)": Fire production from Chicago. Instrumental Hip-Hop albums were my lifeblood back in '95, '96, so it's good to hear cats in the '08 still keeping fresh ideas up. If you need a good album to road trip to, or some different flavors for your iPods in general, Neighborhood Suicide is the way to go. I might have a special version of this coming...
13. Burt Fox & El Juba "The Jungle": This might be one of my favorite cuts on this entire compilation. That nasty Electro drive is slowed down, with Juba going buck on some revolutionary but gangsta steeze. Really big track, something you put on in the whip late at night and coast to, doing whatever you do, middle finger to the law. Props to Burt and the entire RiotControl fam. Hopefully he finishes more of his tracks!
14. Joulz Il "Imagine That": Joulz is an MC out of Dallas that I've been trying to put you guys onto for the longest. He is looking for a deal, and deserves one. Not too many cats from out that way are known for being lyrical, and dude actually sounds like a dude from out East, but regardless, he is a gifted MC (with a gifted producer, Entity Starr) who is making captivating music. Real uplifting, symphonic-feel to this joint, and his lyrics are so dense, and actually go from point A to B by song's end. This should be the anthem to all artists who are looking to get the big nickel...
15. Monsta X "Mind Of A Monsta": How about this is produced by MF Grimm? Some more Monster Island Czars shit, with X just going for broke over this eerie, bass-heavy beat. Just some straight, "what's going on in my mind" shit, with some boomin' beats that you might not regularly rock to. Jun hit me with this - good looks fam!
16. Wafeek ft. Azeem "I'mma Learn You": Wafeek's an MC that Trackstar put me onto, and for good reason. I wanted to put out a gang of freestyles over these beat tapes I compiled, and Wafeek hit me with this, over the Dome Cracker Remix of Das EFX's "Microphone Master", and another over a Gravediggaz jam. He flows so effortlessly on this one, and touches on a bunch of topics. Definitely expect to be hearing more from this talented cat.
17. Dyane P & Lex "Confused": I went to high school with Lex, and recently touched base with him via internets, and was surprised by the wealth of cuts he sent me. He actually said going over these has him picking up the pen again, which I feel like is my doing, so hopefully he has more work to put out. I remember him putting me onto the Freestyle Fellowship cats, and bugging over The Slim Shady LP, and hearing his packed lines always kills me. That real Cali open mic flow, which I can always appreciate. And that Ill Oytreb beat ain't nothing to sneeze at, either!
18. Big Jus "Resilient": Another Wally Clark-produced joint - actually, the first Wally Clark track I heard, and it still has me open. That ill super-hero vibe in the string sample, with some understated boom-bap on it. Big Jus goes hard on the beat, doing it justice. I'd like to hear some other cats get a crack at this beat.
19. Altered St8s "Last Call": This is some real-life talk for you guys who work during the week and need to hit the bar for a cold on. Really encapsulates what some cats go through, just some real life shit. Shouts to Lyfestile for this one, he's a monster on this. And this was also the joint that I always wanted to end on, not just for the title but the whole vibe, from the melancholy piano to that Common scratch in the hook. Fitting end to this disc, and the project as a whole.
Again, I have everything uploaded to Mediafire, as well as in a nice, easy .rar file. I appreciate everyone who submitted a track, conversed with me about this project (aka listen to me gripe), anyone who shot a suggestion, Tech Supreme for the dope covers, my close friends and family for the encouragement, all of the artists out there making it happen - anyone on these two discs is a problem! Your work/encouragement/inspiration/words mean so much to me, and are what keeps blogs like this going.
This is for Hip-Hop.
This is not the final piece to this puzzle... nor is this the last Lighthouse Project. Stay tuned!
Rest in peace, George Carlin.
Let me first start this by saying that, not only is Carlin one of my favorite White comedians of all time, he is in my top 5 (being beat out by Pryor, Chris Rock, and a few others). He combines a few of my favorite qualities about comedians: he's smart, and he doesn't pull punches. And even though he definitely called into question a host of things about our society, he did it from an intellectual angle that is very appreciated... to the point where HBO gave him 14 fucking specials, the last one releases earlier this year (where, admittedly, he did look a lil' worse for wear). I remember him speaking on death and mortality in one of the interviews leading up to that special, so I am not surprised he has recently passed (given his health and bouts with substance abuse), but fuck all of that.
The man was a genius, and had been counter-culture before many of you scared rabble-rousers even picked up a pen. Check out a few of these clips:
You will be missed. I think I'm gonna do a lil' tribute to him. Soon come...
EDIT Wifey just passed me the CNN obit.
KONCEPT, JLOG1C & Soul Khan "Make Way" (prod. by Mr. Porter): Three Brown Bag All-Stars representers drop some fresh Hip-Hop over this Mr. Porter-laced beast. They take a lot of you herbs to task, so definitely pay close attention.
Big up to KONCEPT for lacing me with this!
Watch as Jelani and father Dapper Dan have a dialogue. Dapper Dan is a legendary stylist to hip-hop legends. The two talk about the early years, sharing anecdotes and recollections of a time when style was key, and art was pure. Dap talks about the pitfalls, and Jelani shares how he got to this point, with his debut album, "Wait, You Can Rap?!?!" about to be released.
Master 3 "What Is Your Name" (prod. by Ed-Nezz): Straight out of Illinois, Master 3 and Ed-Nezz drop a heavy track, lyrically and sonically. A lil' deeper on this one, you slow niggas might need to turn this one up and keep it on repeat. First official single off of Master 3's Women & Music.
Like we always do about this time...
It's officially summer tomorrow; school's pretty much out for everyone. What do you need to get you through that road trip, or that backyard BBQ? Dope tunes... we got you covered.
leaks o' da week!
- Lil' Wayne ft. Jay-Z "Mr. Carter (Alternate version)" [Bonus Beats: Lil' Wayne "Real Rap" & Lil' Wayne "A Millie (Remix)"]
- LL Cool J "Rocking With The G.O.A.T."
- Masta Ace "Slaughtahouse (Eminem Remix)"
- Nas ft. DJ Khaled "I'm On" [Bonus Beats: Nas ft. Stic.Man "Association" & David Banner ft. Nas "Middle Finger"]
- Busta Rhymes "You Don't Want None" (prod. by Focus)
- G-Unit "Kitty Kat" (prod. by Polow Da Don)
- Young Buck "My Whole Life" [Bonus Beats: Young Buck "The Taped Conversation"]
- The Game "Taped Convo" (G-Unit Diss)
- Missy Elliot "Best Best" (prod. by Danja)
- DJ Khaled ft. Rick Ross, Akon, Trick Daddy, Plies, Lil' Boosie, Ace Hood & Young Jeezy "Out Here Grindin'"
- The Clipse "Fast Life" (prod. by Scott Storch)
- Boyz N Da Hood ft. Lil' Wayne "Mask On"
- Mannie Fresh ft. Lil' Wayne & The Show "Imma Get Mine"
- Playaz Circle "Young Kobe"
- Tha Dogg Pound "Get My Drink On"
- Bobby Digital ft. David Banner "Straight Off The Block"
- Danity Kane ft. Fabolous "Damaged (Remix)"
- Erykah Badu ft. Pharoah Monche "The Healer (It's Bigger Than Hip Hop Remix)"
- John Legend ft. Andre 3000 "Green Light"
- Marsha Ambrosius "Co-Star" (prod. by Focus)
- Mariah Carey ft. T.I. "I'll Be Loving You Longtime (Remix)"
- Mario "Step Up" (prod. by Scott Storch)
- Musiq Soulchild "Radio"
- Cody ChuestnuTT "AfrObama"
- Von Pea, Elucid, Che Grand & Spec Boogie "Lessondary Nose" [Bonus Beats: Spec Boogie ft. Von Pea, Elucid & Cyren Young "Calling Me"]
- Sean Price "P's Up Freestyle"
- Amanda Diva "Heart Of The City"
- Praverb "The King" (prod. by The Admiral)
- Vast Aire "The Man With Out Fear"
- Big Shug "Like A Mufucka" (prod. by DJ Premier)
- Skyzoo & Emilio Rojas "Start It All Over" (prod. by Black Milk)
- Trick Trick ft. Ice Cube "Let It Fly"
- Tech N9ne ft. Ice Cube, Brother J & Krizz Kalico "Blackboy" [Bonus Beats: Tech N9ne ft. Scarface "Pillow Talkin'"]
- Shawty Putt ft. Lil' Jon & Too $hort "Dat Baby (Remix)"
- Meek Mill ft. Gillie Da Kid & Cassidy "In My Bag (Remix)"
- Danny! ft. Maria "At What Price"
- Cory Gunz ft. Ryan Leslie "Get Right Tonight"
- Crooked I "Letter To 2Pac"
- Hell Rell "Get Ready"
- GLC "Ridin' By Yourself"
- Obie Trice "Hold Up"
- Wale "Hey... Mr. Carter"
- Esso "Get Ya Beat Killed"
- Royce Da 5'9 "I'm Me Freestyle"
- Rukus "Let The Beat Build Freestyle"
- Dolla "Homecoming Freestyle"
- Nipsy Hussle ft. The Game "Bullets (Remix)"
- Sugar Tongue Slim "Street Science"
- Roche ft. Pugslee Atomz & Wes Restless "Only When I Dream"
- Punchline ft. Torae & Slick "Hip Hop"
- AC "On My Way"
- Juice "My Time"
- The United Centa "Under The Act"
- Sumkid "Chuck Norris On Drugs"
- Negativland "Richard Nixon Died Today"
- Common "Go (K-Salaam & Beatnick Remix)"
- Sean Paul, Elephant Man & Mavado "Infrared (BGDB Soundclash Megamix)"
GET'CHA LATE PASS 'ERE!
- rock the dub radio: episode 022
- On That Leak: T.H.U.G. Anglez
- RiotControl 12
- DJ Cable's Weekly Mix #21
- J. Slikk SLIKKstrumental Beat Tape (Summer '08 Edition)
- TRiLLBASS - Gold Fronts
- Kam Moye Self-Centered EP
- Cy Yung "Dreamcatcher Revisited" CDS
- A-Trak Running Man Sampler
- Boogie Bang 14
Tomorrow's the first day of summer, so you know I gotta...
Mungo Jerry "Summertime"
What were you expecting? Enjoy this beatufiul weekend! The Lighthouse Project, Disc 2 drops on Monday...