Weird week. Got a call back on a job and got a call saying goodbye - for now. Shit's good, but it ain't all good. This list reflects that. Let's go...
01/The Roots "No Alibi" [this one goes out to DJ Nappy. the first time I rode around Princeton with him and Cousin Nick Evelation, this came on the stereo. I had heard the cut before, but it was the first time I really listened to it. Still one of my favorite Roots tracks ever, puts me into a zone.]
02/Evelation "no!!!!!!!!" [Nick on that downtempo/dubstep vibe. Very moody track... you never got to play this one on Wednesday, but it's all good. I still know your intentions. It's all good, dogs. Get at me with that info.]
03/J Swinscoe "Goatee (Part 1)" [from the 1998 FunKungFusion compilation, this is the first Swinscoe/Cinematic Orchestra cut I heard in my life. Another one that puts me in an awkward mood. I love it though. Love that jazz hybrid style. New CO LP coming in May I think... Ma Fleur.]
04/David Banner "K.O." [fight music, dirty south style. Just plain ignant. I love it, in all it's minimal glory.]
05/Vex'd "Angels" [from his 2005 Planet Mu CD, Degenerate, I just love the sub-loving bass in this one. And that "the angels fell" sample. Gotta love how samples work, fitting so perfectly with diff. styles of music.]
06/Goldfinger "Chainsaw" [from this .rar the Dutty Dubz crew threw up on the dubstepforum. I had heard the other 3 cuts, and they are dope, but this one takes the cake. Too nasty.]
07/Cham "Rudeboy Pledge (Nappy's Liquid Sword Mix)" [you guys think all the nigga does is THUGSTEP? Nappy's style is pure mashup bidness, not just the dubstep/rap steeze either. I keep saying it, but it's interesting how Nappy doesn't like reggae/dance hall, but married this Cham acapella over a RZA beat that was originally sampled from a ska record, which does not apologize for their love of the Reggae flavors. Funny how life works, right?]
08/Prodigy "Stop Frontin'" [more from the P/ALC marriage that is Return of the Mac, which should be dropping later this month. Lovin' the sample love in this one.]
09/Saburuko "North Face" [audio for this is up on their MySpace page. It's a mispress to Horizons Music 19, and only so many copies came of it, so if you didn't get one of the 40 available, go to the MySpace and enjoy the vibes. They are the ones to watch.]
10/UGK ft. Three 6 Mafia "Player's Anthem" [some cats callin' this the summer anthem of 07, but if you DJs are smart, you are rinsing this NOW!]
11/Joe Budden "My Life" [yes, Joe Budd is rhyming over a sample of The System's "Don't Disturb This Groove", and its dope. I love his steeze.]
- Redman "Gimmie One" [NJ's #1 MC right now is killin' it over a Pete Rock banger.]
- Ghostface Killah "Chunky" [Pete Rock givin' Ghost some love as well. Classic sounds.]
- Clipse ft. Pharrell "Mr. Me Too (Nappy vs. Deadly Habit Blend)" [Even D. Hab was surprised that his crazy beat could fit over someone other than Kool Keith.]
In The Mix:
- The rolldabeats crew's "Decade In The Mix" series has finally seen #2 *of 4* come out via DOA. If you are into that classic jungle/DNB sound, grab this mix, PRONTO! This one is mixed by DJ Haste, so expect some ill techniques and mixes on here.
- The good folks over at DNBARENA.ru have gotten their mits on the Valve Soundsystem's mixes from the recent Xtra Bass Awards. Check this thread for tracklistings and links to one of the many mirrors. Holla.
- Keeping it DNB, if you want a taste of the new nasty, grab EBK's March 2007 Mix. Peep this stormer's tracklisting HERE.
- Rock and Roll is DEAD posted this Biggie Blendz 2007 mixtape from a DJ named Snicka earlier this week. Peep their post for full tracklisting and more details.
DJ Nappy, in his own words, and at the night THUGSTEP came alive: