Archive for 05/01/2010 - 06/01/2010
Drake "Best I Ever Had (DnB Bootleg)": I previewed this what it seems like ages ago. Good timing, considering his album drops next week... DJs beware - this is a dirty version - now "youtheyouthe besss" in the chorus at all. Nice liquid vibes, though. Should go off well for the drunken Soulsters in the club.
I first heard this sick sick SICK tune on Heist's Sumo Beatz Podcast #1, and was immediately floored. I don't get too deep into labels and such, but this "drumstep" craze has me hooked. Criss Criss and Youngman have a "drumstep" mix of their "Kick Snare" tune coming on Technique, but this was the first tune from that genre that really had me going:
Heist - I Need Killers [radio rip]
So menacing. DJ Cable said it made him want to smash up his furniture. Sick tune. And you might've heard Skream rinse the dubstep edit of this one:
Heist - I Need Killers (140 Edit) [radio rip]
I need more tunes like this in my life.
Been waiting for this one to drop - dude's deep. I can't even explain it better than this:
Snooze Button II is your alarm clock. You hit the snooze, you get 15 minutes of rest. You're sleep but you're really not sleep, nodding in & out, letting the sun hit your face. And then you snap up & start your day.
From 2007-2010 I hadn't wrote much of any music. And for somebody that writes everyday, that was incredibly difficult. But it was almost like a beaver dam inside of me that got punctured & suddenly things pour out, and continue to pour out.
Normally after I do a project, I take a few months off from writing, thinking, conceptualizing & give my brain a break. But after Dreaming Out Loud, things kept coming to me. It felt like 2002 when I could only write 60 bar verses & my hooks were terrible. So I decided to take it back.
The mixtape has become the "poor rapper's album" now. I remember when the mixtape was take a bunch of beats & go off & that's exactly what I did. No underlying theme, if anything a simple introduction to some & "a hey how ya been" Facebook message to others.
And with that, I give you...Snooze Button II.
After posting DJ Books' Classic Blendz Season 1 mixtape, I perused The Thieves Theme and fell upon some classic Trenton mixtape madness from the likes of DJ Juice, who is one of the area's more well-known mixtape DJs.What I've always loved about Trenton is the mixture of sounds - its obviously very Hip-Hop loving, but the community is a mixture - Puerto Rican, Haitian and many more. Music from the Caribbean, especially when it comes to Reggae and Dancehall. DJ Juice had a knack for taking a lot of these genres and creating some slick mixtapes, and I figured I'd post a bit of what I've stumbled upon for you right here!
- DJ Juice #13 [via REAL HIP HOP]
- DJ Juice #44 [via Kevin Nottingham]
- DJ Juice #37 [via Thieves Theme]
- DJ Juice #12 (part 1 | part 2) [again via REAL HIP HOP]
- DJ Juice #65 (part 1 | part 2) [via REAL HIP HOP]
I don't know about you, but I LOVE a dope blend. Not a mash-up or whatever you want to call it in 2010, but a dope blend. Ted Smooth still puts out quality blends, as do some others, and this mixtape from DJ Books (who represents The Thieves Theme and The Diggers Union) is taking it BACK with this one. Back to the DJ S&S days. Back before DJ Vlad was a journalist. Hit the jump for download links and the back cover. Proper Memorial Day steelo.
I won't go into the trials and tribulations of Gary Coleman's life. No need to joke on the man any more. Sadly, Gary died today in Utah, after suffering a fall and hemorrhaging earlier this week. I was a big fan of Different Strokes, and felt for dude's struggle in the years after the show was cancelled. He's forever a legend for being "Arnold Jackson", and will be sorely missed.
Peep some Different Strokes Minisodes, and hopefully some TV station will be playing full episodes of Different Strokes this Memorial Day weekend.
Rest in peace, Gary.
- Drake ft. Lil' Wayne "Miss Me" [clean | dirty] [Bonus Beats Drake ft. Young Jeezy "Unforgettable"]
- Kanye West ft. Dwele "Power"
- T.I. "Yeah Ya Know (Takers)" [clean | dirty]
- The Roots "Dear God 2.0"
- Fat Joe ft. Trey Songz "If It Ain't About Money" (prod. by Cool & Dre) [clean | dirty]
- Rick Ross "Money Maker" (prod. by Boi-1da)
- Young Jeezy "D-Boyz" (prod. by Don Cannon)
- Lloyd Banks "All I Want Is You Freestyle"
- Raekwon "Alphabet Soup"[Bonus Beats Raekwon & N.O.R.E. "Slow Down (Ha Ha) Freestyle"]
- Styles P "Nothin’ On You Freestyle"
- Sean Paul x Ted Smooth "Wine It"
- Gil Scott-Heron ft. Mos Def "New York is Killing Me"
- Estelle ft. Nas "Fall In Love"
- Jagged Edge "Lay You Down" [clean | instrumental]
- Talib Kweli "Papers Please"
- The Pack “Wolfpack Party 2010”
- Bobby Creekwater "Shades On My Face"
- Serial Killaz ft. Uncle Murda "It's Whatever (G-Mix)"
- Sean Price "Snow Freestyle" [Bonus Beats Sean Price "Let Me Tell You"]
- Madvillain "Papermill"
- Blu "So Perfect" (prod. by Exile)
- Black Milk "Don Cornelius"
- Copywrite "Last Laugh" (prod. by Khrysis)
- Dice Raw "100" [via Dallas Penn]
- Donny Goines ft. Asher Roth, Mistah F.A.B. & Big Pooh "Rock NYC Remix (LGA/JFK Version)"
- Eternia & MoSS ft. Termanology & Reef The Lost Cauze "At Last"
- Sene "Love, Me" (prod. by Daniel Oshima)
- Cy Yung ft. Rashid Hadee & Melatone "Mayhem" (prod by J. Slikk)
- YC The Cynic "The Essentials (2 Turntables + A Mic)"
- Neako "Madonna" (prod. by Neako) [clean | dirty]
- Mic Wilson "Lights Out" [Bonus Beats Mic Wilson "Rajon Rondo"]
- Deal - The Villain "Pooches"
- Legit ft. U.G. "Valedictorian"
- Homeboy Sandman "Yeah, But I Can Rhyme Though" (prod. by Ski Beatz)
- Protoman "Runnin' From The Law" (prod. by Numonics)
- Nato Caliph ft. Kyjuan, Rome, QB, Rockwell Knuckles, Tef Poe & Rep "Anomaly" (prod. by Tech Supreme)
- Everliven Sound ft. Hakim Green "Crack and The Electric Chair"
- Pigeon Hole ft. D-Sisive "Light Show"
- Gerald Walker "Silent"
- Dre Robinson ft. Lexxus "No No No"
- Dyme Def "Do It Better" (prod. by Tha Bizness)
- Lyriciss "Who Dat"
- Singapore Kane "My Planet" (prod. by Purpose)
- duce "LeaveAMessageAtTheBleep"
- Tree City "Say It Again" (prod. by L05)
- Spek Won "2nd Chances" (prod. by GMF/Tone Mason)
- Doey Rock ft. Raekwon "Sunset Strip"
- HaLo "Don't Stop" (prod. by Sinopsis)
- N.B.S. "No Loyalty" (prod. by J.Cardim)
- Smoke Dza ft. Devin The Dude "White Papers"
- Ryan Perfect "Life Or Death"
- Blitz McBain & Cliff Po "For The Money"
- Cliff Po "Money In The Air" (prod. by Glizzo)
- B Magic ft. MNfrm & MC Noyz "The Sound Of Victory"
- Nicky D's "Gold Lettering" (prod. by Afro Butterfly)
- Co$$ ft. Reks & Naledge "Now Til Infinity" (prod. by Numonics)
- Strick 9 "Calling Out Freestyle"
- Leonard Dstroy "Hello Darling"
- KVBeats ft. Royce Da 5'9 & Pace Won "5'9+Won" [Bonus Beats KVBeats ft. Mic Geronimo "Clap To This"]
- Gripz "I Declare War Freestyle"
- Main Course "Joy In The Struggle" (prod. by Holy Soulja) [Bonus Beats Main Course "The Sound Of Music" (prod. by Holy Soulja)]
- Frank Ramz & Shortman Score "Down In The Bx"
- Diamond District "Streets Won't Let Me Chill (Apollo Brown Remix)"
- Just Blaze "A-Team Theme (Murdock Mix)"
- The Injustice League "I'll Never Be LOST Again"
- J.Y. ft. Killer Mike & Brandon "Bout To Kill Em" (prod. by Nard and B)
- MiLKMEN ft. Soulja Boy "Pretty Boy Swag (Remix)" [Bonus Beats MiLKMEN "I'm Single (Remix)"]
- Soul Litchfield "Dice Toss"
- Rusko ft. Gucci Mane "Got Da Groove"
- Pete Lawrie "All That We Keep (Cousin Cole Remix)"
- Black Eyed Peas ft. Jo Well "Rock That Body (Remix)"
- Gyptian ft. Joe Clark "Hold Yuh (Remix)" [via BuckMarleyXXX]
- Raekwon ft. Ghostface Killah "Criminology (Lightsaber Remix)" (prod. by Jett. I Masstyr)
- Lil Wayne ft. Kevin Rudolf & ¡MAYDAY! "Let It Rock (Mayday Remix)"
- DJ Eso - Lost In My Mind
- Pugs Atomz Kinda Like A Mixtape
- Seven Day Concepts EP
- Hypedog Presents The New School Beat Tape 2010
- DeeDotMillz The Title You Expected
- Mike Schpitz Mike Murder Mixtape
- Hatcha, Lost, Tes La Rok & Crazy D On Kiss FM (5/2510)
- The Mad Blogger's Weekly Podcast, EP9
- Styles Davis Crunkstep
- FuseBox Radio (Week Of 5/26/2010)
- CCDNB 24 Producer Showcase: Marcus Visionary
Here's the new video for Junk Science's "Really, Man"
Enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend. Hope you have three glorious days of chillin' and reflecting. And thanks for your support!
Kanye West ft. Dwele "Power": OK so I woke up to heads talking about a new Kanye leak, and when I see people like Cipha Sounds say its kind of tough, my interest heightens. Thing is, I get to work and it's some bullshit. It's GREAT to hear Kanye rappin', but what the hell is he rappin' on? Sounds like a Country band trying to make some backyard Hip-Hop. I'm not too interested in where the sung loop comes from, nor is this the Kanye I was waiting for. Sorry. I'm with you, Ant.
Here's a preview of the new Internets Celebrities video, which I got to see the other day, and it's dope. Very well done, from the tone to the visuals. Insightful. Anyways, on June 1st, they IC's are showing it at the Brooklyn Public Library (RSVP via Facebook). Once this thing hits the Internets, I got you.
Protoman "Runnin' From The Law" (prod. by Numonics): Here's a cut that didn't make Being Cool Doesn't Pay The Bills, but is hyper dope nonetheless. Beat is fon-key, and Ft. Lauterdale's Protoman has a dope style he brings to this. Just download it, bitch.
Just Blaze "A-Team Theme (Murdock Mix)": I hit you with the behind the scenes peek on how Just crafted this Bmore-heavy remix of the classic A-Team theme song, and now the full track leaked. He might need to say fuck Hip-Hop and craft more gems like this - he gets it.
MP3 via Meka.
Soul Litchfield "Dice Toss": I love when people give projects titles that just make a whole lot of sense. Soul Litchfield is the new moniker for King Britt's experimental beats project Headnod Acrobatics Vol. 1. Judging by the backyard funk in "Dice Toss", he wants to see how flexible your neck is, based on a series of top-shelf homebrewed beats. Feels like proper Pluto cookout jammin' on this one. Crack a beer (and/or a dutch) and enjoy.
Sean Paul x Ted Smooth "Wine It": @TedSmooth's "Memorial Day Massacre" begins with this track, and it's a doozy. I've actually been hearing a GRIP of "Hold Yuh" versions, I think Cipha Sounds played like three or four during yesterday's morning show. I get tired of them after a while, but Ted punched this one up with harder-hitting drums. Nice shift for a track, and should be a nice gem to set a Memorial Day Weekend jam off PROPA!
Mic Wilson "Lights Out": Well goddamn! I told Mic I was callin' him #MerkEarly, because he has come out the box DUMB QUICK with these tracks on your newest/latest rapper's jawns. We already went with the "Rajon Rondo", and now homey goes in on that new Drake ft. Jay-Z "Light Up" cut that's had your Internets going bananas overnight. Not sure how he does it, but I'm glad he does. Phase Two is on the way, trust and believe!
Gerald Walker "Silent": Anthony YNMD hit me with this new Walker jawn, taken from his I Remember When This All Meant Something project, which is due out July 16th. This is dropping in the morning, but this is one of those jams you play during those late night love sessions, that's my word.
The new LP by The Infesticons comes in one of the highest quality packages we've ever put together. Designed by Oscar and Ewan (Wiley, Roots Manuva,) it includes a screen-printed outer sleeve with gold text, full colour inner sleeve with battle scene design by Mike Ladd and heavyweight 180 gram vinyl with download codes. Best of all, each copy is hand signed by Mike Ladd, and hand numbered 1-1000. Some copies even have extra scribbles and lines written by Mike during the process. You can see some film and images of the making of the sleeves here... This truly is a collectors' item and lovely release to own - there's only 1000 for the world, so snap yours up quick!
@DJCable hit me up about this new mixtape from LA's @StylesDavis, who is a talented DJ and lover of dubstep and Hip-Hop. In what @DJNappy christened as #thugstep, and DJs like Cable and DJ Tipz continued on, Styles flips his own brand of dubstep riddims underneath Hip-Hop lyrics. His technical skill brings forth some amazing mixes - that first 9 minutes is spectacular, and it just gets better. Hit the jump for download links, a tracklist and a stream.
Dyme Def "Do It Better" (prod. by Tha Bizness): Seattle's Dyme Def and Tha Bizness link up for this bouncy romp, taken from their Sex Tape, which drops on June 1st and is being done in conjunction with T.I.T.S.. No Kendra, but you know, if you spit some of this slick to a female, you might be able to twist her out. Try it!
Copywrite "Last Laugh" (prod. by Khrysis): Here's a cut from @Copywrite's T.H.E High Exhaulted 8th Anniversary Edition, which oddly enough celebrates the 8 year anniversary of the release of The High Exhaulted, which is now ridiculously out of print. Shit, "Fuck Soundcheck" is still one of my all-time favorite Hip-Hop tracks. In the late 90s/early 00's, Copywrite was one of the only MCs I had known to be so lyrical and witty out of Ohio. Their whole crew was the truth, and dude still has it. He went in, recording new material to go along with the re-release, and this is one of those gems. Lookout for it on June 1st, followed by his next full LP, The Life and Times of Peter Nelson, which is dropping this Fall.
Neako "Madonna" (prod. by Neako) [clean | dirty]: Proper party starter from Newark's own @Neako. This is taken from Rubix Cube Yellow Edition, which is set to drop on June 23rd. Nothing too crazy going on here lyrically - dude's just paying homage to a sick looking female. DJs, get on this one!
Shouts to GFCnewyork.
Madvillain "Papermill": Hip-Hop Confession: I wasn't too into the Madvillainy album. Not sure what it was - I wasn't head over heels into the DangerMouse/DOOM album either. Something about DOOM for me is all about him over his own beats. Just how I got into him, right? I fucks with this, though. I think my appreciation for Madlib's output in the last year or two specifically has me seeing him in a different light than I was years before. This is the first bit from the forthcoming Madvillain album, which is still being worked on. This is also the 2nd in a series of Adult Swim Singles, so keep it locked for more of that. Anyone got an instrumental for this?
After a number of sick leaks, Mike Schpitz' Mike Murder mixtape is out, presented by DJ Booth, Baller Status, Refined Hype, YNotMyDream and the Prolific Media Group. Dude takes out the knife and proceeds to massacre some ill instrumentals, that's the long and short of it. Hit the jump for the tracklist and link.
"Another Classic" featuring Burke, Torae, Side Effect & DJ Waxwork is the lead single from Philly-based producer Cimer Amor's forthcoming producer compilation album Taking Nowhere, Somewhere. The album which drops on June 29th through Coalmine Records boasts features from Sha Stimuli, King Syze, Baby Blak, Jakk Frost, Equinox, Side Effect and more...stay tuned!!
Rick Ross "Money Maker" (prod. by Boi-1da): Here's a cut from
Tits McGee Officer Rawse's The Albert Anastasia EP. Yes, I know who Albert Anastasia was, but come on, you can't come with an original nickname? You would think the real Rick Ross' lawsuit would stop a fake thug from appropriating new names to himself but I guess the cotdamn bawse isn't too worried bout it.
Sadly, like most ignant Rap, that beat is hot.
Diamond District "Streets Won't Let Me Chill (Apollo Brown Remix)": My favorite track from In The Ruff gets the A. Brown treatment for Apollo's The Reset album, which is available right now on Mello Music Group. I didn't think a nigga could improve on perfection, but I like this version better than the original!
Tree City "Say It Again" (prod. by L05): Here's an ill cut from this 5 man (4 MCs and 1 DJ) collective, Tree City, who reps Ann Arbor, MI. Love the beat - real organic, and I love the piano in it. Latin-infused, and sparse enough for these cats to do lyrical acrobatics over. Be on the lookout for Thus Far, their forthcoming project.
I hopped you lot to DeeDotMillz with "Just Friends", and now Dee's The Title You Expected mixtape is out, and I highly recommend you getting into this. Dude isn't afraid to kick ill shit over a plethora of sounds, and has some gems in here! Hit the jump for the tracklist, download link and stream.
duce "LeaveAMessageAtTheBleep": Here's a sicknan track from duce, taken from miDDLecLassmen's Canteens For Floodgates, which is due out on June 1st. Love the progression of this beat - really smooth, and duce keeps it poppy. Fun funkery funtime funk.
Via soonervision (shouts to Ant THHE).
Mic Wilson "Rajon Rondo": Been on the low sending some of my favorite MCs some instrumentals, hoping to see what comes about. How did I know that @Mic_Wilson would hit me back dumb early with his take on that new T.I. banger (and not the sappy radio saccharine single). We stay playing hard... don't even!
After Square One, comes Phase Two!
The homey DJ Cable recently won the Urban Art Forms/Dogs On Acid 2010 DJ Competition, and earned a DJ spot during their UAF Festival, which starts on June 3rd in Austria. I just posted my interview with him over on DOA, and figured I should share his winning minimix.
01. DJ Baddmixx - Go DJ (Intro)
02. Deep Blue - The Helicopter Tune
>>>>Yung Joc - It's Goin' Down (Acapella)
03. Foreign Beggars - Contact (Noisia Remix) + Bonus "Scratch Section"
04. Xample Feat. Jakes - No Respect
05. Total Science - Nosher (Marky & S.P.Y. Remix)
>>>>Jay-Z - Dirt Off Your Shoulder (Acapella)
Via Hypedog: "Yeh, we all know about J Dilla, Dre, Alchemist, 9th Wonder and Madlib... but yo, it's 2010! There's a slew of talented producers out there that need to be noticed! Luigi-Bo 87 rounds up talents from across the globe to combine the hardest, neck noddin, tectonic shaking beats built by up and coming producers from the US, EU and UK. Wether your boom bap purists or electro 8-bit glitch hop "The New School" in production is defined through these 10 beat smiths".
DOWNLOAD Hypedog Presents The New School Beat Tape 2010
N.B.S. "No Loyalty" (prod. by J.Cardim): A lot of you have been hyped off that track "War" that N.B.S. did with Nickle Nine, and we've got a new track from their forthcoming album, The Prelude, which is set to drop this Summer on Big Bang Records. Massachusetts is a problem, shouts to That's Major for hookin' this one up.
Nato Caliph ft. Kyjuan, Rome, QB, Rockwell Knuckles, Tef Poe & Rep "Anomaly" (prod. by Tech Supreme) [mirror]: Here's a new cut from Nato Caliph's REACH EP, featuring Kyjuan from the St. Lunatics, Family Affair (aka Rep & QB), as well as luminaries form The Force. Yeah, these niggas ain't fucking around - a fresh STL posse cut that you can blast in a number of hoods.